MY PHOTOS

MY CAREER

I started out my career in baseball as an intern for the Seattle Mariners at the age of 16. The next season they had ball girl try outs and I made it! I was the new ball snatcher. I made headlines when I became the first ball girl to dive for a foul ball. I was highlighted on FOX's This Week in Baseball, Univision, CBS Day & Date, ESPN, CNN, KIRO's On Deck Show, and other networks and print publications for my plays on the field and for my baseball artwork, which I donate to various charities and got officially licensed for it by the MLBPA at the age of 19. I have my own sport art business and my art has been displayed at the Legends of the Game museum in TX and the Yogi Berra Museum in NY. I worked for the M's for seven seasons and had the opportunity to get to know all of the main departments of the front office from marketing to public relations. I went on to work for the Red Sox in their Dominican Republic baseball academy as their English teacher. Inspired by my work there, I developed and created a complete career development education program for international players called "Keep Your Eyes in the Ball". This program turned the Red Sox into pioneers in the area of international player development in the area of transition to their careers in the states. I teach the players everything including, American laws, life skills, customs, English, baseball terminology, etiquette, money management, basic nutrition, media and fan relations, literacy, and more. I went on to work for the Orioles and was even recruited by the New York Yankees. My title for the Red Sox was coordinator of player education and with the Orioles, international liaison and instructor of english and cultural literacy. I came back home to complete my college education and returned to the Mariners to work with their major league Latin American players, including their new Cuban star, Yuniesky Betancourt. Interestingly, I was Felix Hernandez's brother's teacher with the Orioles as well. Some players you might recognize that were students of mine include; Anibal Sanchez, Hanley Ramirez, Daniel Cabrera, Wilfredo Ledezma, Ed Rogers, Tony Blanco, Eddy Rodriguez, Franklin Francisco, and Jorge De La Rosa.

My Orioles Class Documentary - Part One

My Sports Art

Tuesday, October 31, 2000

Day Two - Dominican Republic Red Sox Academy

Hi! I just finished with the second day of class, and it went just as good , if not better than the first. My main concern for today’s class was getting the more advanced students and veterans to submit to my authority, since they acted as hard to please, but I think I met up to the challenge well after all. That was actually the funnest class today! And they absorb everything I teach them so well!! My strong lesson plans helped a lot too. Each class just flew by. I met a nice lady named Margarita, who lives in Florida, who comes every year to support all the kids on the team, and brings them all kinds of goodies that they need. She is a pecial lady. Margarita gave me a bag of gum balls to give to the kids, and pens. She also gave out bibles. I gave the students all of my notebook paper and have none for myself!! I have to go out and get class supplies for them. The hotel just offered to move me to a better nicer room with alarm clock and king bed and everything, but I don’t know because I like my view and my balcony. I hope that if that room doesn’t have a balcony, that I can just stay here. I really need that because it makes me feel at home, and I don’t feel so locked in, and since I do all my work in my room I like to have that. I’m not sure about that. The hotel manager told me that she is going to open a line for me, so that I can finally start being able to use my phone. That’s cool. I gotta find out if my talent agent issued my check for my day performing as Eliza Thornberry at Nickelodion’s Big Help festival. The lights went out in one of the classes today because of the thunder stuff. While the lights were out that is when I taught them about Halloween, since it is today. It was fun. I taught them about switch hitting, whatever, trick or treat, same here, me too, etc…. It was lots of fun. I hope that they like my teaching. For the first class I had them write things on the index cards I gave them for homework. The next class I had them practice the words in the work sheets. I will give them learning strategies tomorrow. I would like to write what I teach them right after class but I eat right afterwards, and usually end up eating with Walter or Margarita or both of them, which is fine, but then by the time I get back to the room, I have forgotten some of the things that happened in class. Walter is the pitching coach for the team, and kind of my guardian here. He is the authority figure at the hotel for the team. He’s my pal. He’s Colombian, and used to pitch, but injured his arm, so now he’s a coach. The first part of class, I have the students write their names, the date, phone number and stuff like that, or free writing, this helps them to form good study habits and they pick up on things through this repetitive action. I don’t know what happened to the notebooks that I was promised for the class but I haven’t gotten them, and I really feel that the class will work best if the students can write things down. I can’t for example have them free write in their journals, because many of the students don’t have them. They are missing out on something very crucial. I also am having the students in the advanced class do anecdotes.
I will be teaching them how to do a pitching chart soon as well, because many of them don’t know how to do that. I will also work on commands tomorrow. I am teaching English to Andres Galarraga’s nephew. He’s really funny. When I had them write what their dislikes were, he put down SUNDAY!! And he went on to explain why. So tomorrow, I am going to have them discuss what they wrote down at the beginning of class tomorrow. I am going to collect them from them tomorrow and grade them. I discussed weather with the advanced class too. I need to bring white out. Can you believe one of the students asked me for it? I will also have the players tell me their forms out loud. I forgot to do that with them. Today I missed breakfast again, because I felt so sick this morning. I went down for lunch and prepared my lesson plan while eating the three meat soup that I keep forgetting the name of. Oh yeah! It's called sancocho. mmmmm! I also had tea and water. The waiters and the rest of the Howard Johnson staff are so nice. I have to take photos of them before I leave. Ygnacio is my favorite employee. I am very concerned because since I still can’t access the internet, so I am falling very behind in school with my onlin courses. Walter is friends with Edgar Renterria and is going to try to set up an interview with him for me. Both Edgar and Walter are from Colombia. I can’t wait to tell my step sisters, who are Colombian as well. Walter was the 2nd player ever to be signed by the Florida Marlins. Margarita also gave out Spanish bibles to all the kids. They loved that. That was so cool of her. I hope I can get caught up on my classes. I’m sure I’ll be able to.

1 comment:

chris babb said...

Rosie,

My wife and I are looking to work at one of these academies in the Dominican or elsewhere. I am pursuing my MA in Sports Administration from Seattle U and my wife teaches english/spanish at the high school level.

Any info or contact details you could provide would be most appreciated.

-Chris