MY PHOTOS

MY CAREER

I started out my career in baseball as an intern for the Seattle Mariners at the age of 16. The next season they had ball girl try outs and I made it! I was the new ball snatcher. I made headlines when I became the first ball girl to dive for a foul ball. I was highlighted on FOX's This Week in Baseball, Univision, CBS Day & Date, ESPN, CNN, KIRO's On Deck Show, and other networks and print publications for my plays on the field and for my baseball artwork, which I donate to various charities and got officially licensed for it by the MLBPA at the age of 19. I have my own sport art business and my art has been displayed at the Legends of the Game museum in TX and the Yogi Berra Museum in NY. I worked for the M's for seven seasons and had the opportunity to get to know all of the main departments of the front office from marketing to public relations. I went on to work for the Red Sox in their Dominican Republic baseball academy as their English teacher. Inspired by my work there, I developed and created a complete career development education program for international players called "Keep Your Eyes in the Ball". This program turned the Red Sox into pioneers in the area of international player development in the area of transition to their careers in the states. I teach the players everything including, American laws, life skills, customs, English, baseball terminology, etiquette, money management, basic nutrition, media and fan relations, literacy, and more. I went on to work for the Orioles and was even recruited by the New York Yankees. My title for the Red Sox was coordinator of player education and with the Orioles, international liaison and instructor of english and cultural literacy. I came back home to complete my college education and returned to the Mariners to work with their major league Latin American players, including their new Cuban star, Yuniesky Betancourt. Interestingly, I was Felix Hernandez's brother's teacher with the Orioles as well. Some players you might recognize that were students of mine include; Anibal Sanchez, Hanley Ramirez, Daniel Cabrera, Wilfredo Ledezma, Ed Rogers, Tony Blanco, Eddy Rodriguez, Franklin Francisco, and Jorge De La Rosa.

My Orioles Class Documentary - Part One

My Sports Art

Monday, October 30, 2000

My Very First Class in a Domincan baseball Academy

Hi. Sorry I didn’t write sooner, but I’ve been so busy since I got here preparing for my classes. I am nervous about teaching today, as it will be my first time. Today is going to be my first class. Wonder if it might be hard for them to respect me as a teacher being a young woman and all, but we’ll see. As long as I respect them and do my job well, I’m sure it will be the beginning of a great student-teacher relationship. I came down with a cold or something. My throat hurts so badly, and I wish I could just sleep all day, of all days. I don’t have my Echinicea here and that usually gets rid of my colds pretty quickly. There so much the players have to learn and it was a real challenged to figure out where to start. I can’t wait until I get my printer. My family is going to send it to me. I have met a lot of the students, and so far most of them seem pretty nice. The view from my room is beautiful. I just wish I wasn’t sick. I hope I get better soon. I had to eat breakfast in my room because I was too ill to go down to the restaurant. Well, I will write in you again soon. Ttfn
HI again. It is after my first experience with class. It went very well for being the first time. Today I just did an introduction of the class curriculum and myself. The most challenging class to teach surprisingly was the advanced class. They are hard to please, but I hope to get them where they need to be quickly and smoothly so we can work together efficiently. I really need to get creative with them and keep on my toes and a step and a half ahead at all times. I met Felix Maldonado who has worked with the Red Sox for 40 years! He is very nice and is observing my classes. He even offered to help me out with the baseball book I am doing! I think this job will definitely open a lot of doors for me in baseball operations. I can’t wait to be able to use the Internet. I still can’t make calls out from my phone, and it’s been that way since Saturday night pretty much. Since I got here. My students are actually for the most part, very perceptive, understanding, and enthusiastic.

No comments: